STRANGERS IN THE BOX
by Pam Harazim
Come, look with me inside this drawer,
In this box I’ve often seen,
At the pictures, black and white,
Faces proud, still, and serene.
I wish I knew the people,
These strangers in the box,
Their names and all their memories,
Are lost among my socks.
I wonder what their lives were like,
How did they spend their days?
What about their special times?
I’ll never know their ways.
If only someone had taken time,
To tell who, what, where, and when,
These faces of my heritage,
Would come to life again.
Could this become the fate,
Of the pictures we take today?
The faces and the memories,
Someday to be passed away?
Take time to save your stories,
Seize the opportunity when it knocks,
Or someday you and yours,
Could be strangers in the box.
Two years ago I listed the technology tools that aid in my genealogy hobby. I’ve decided to update the list.
Much hasn’t change. What has changed is that I’m no longer using Microsoft Windows. Family Tree Maker is available on the Mac, so that is my software of choice. I’ve also stopped using a video camera and am using a digital camera and an iPhone for HD video.
Here is my list:
* Hardware: MacBook Pro 15 in. running OSX Mountain Lion and Mac Pro running OS X Lion
* External storage: Portable hard drive
* Online Storage and Backup: Carbonite, Flickr, DropBox, Google Docs
* All-In-One Printer: Canon Pixma MP990
* Scanners: Canon CanoScan 8800F, Canon CanoScan LiDE 500F
* Cameras: Canon Digital Rebel XTi, iPhone, Canon PowerShot SX230
* GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200
* Web Browser: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
* Blogging Software: WordPress, tumblr
* Web Development Software: Dreamweaver
* FTP Client: FileZilla
* RSS Aggregator: Google Reader
* Graphics: Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator
* Screen Capture: Grab
* Social Media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google +, Pinterest, Instagram
* Other Communication: Facetime, Skype
* URL Shortener: bit.ly
* Office suite: Microsoft Office, Google Docs
* E-mail: Yahoo Mail, Gmail
* Calendar: Google Calendar syncing to iCal and iPhone
* PDF generator: Adobe Acrobat
* Genealogy Database: Family Tree Maker, The Next Generation, Ancestry.com, FamViewer